We're feeling a bit restless, so we decided to try we haven't done for a while. Over the next few posts, we're going to randomly generate a planet using the Planet Generator rules in Chapter 26 of Starblazer Adventures. Today we're focusing on the random roles and the most elementary aspects of what those rolls mean. We'll be fleshing out this planet over a couple of posts, and the card from the Deck of Fate that I draw for tomorrow's Deck of Fridays will be part of the project.
You, Dear Reader, are invited to help build this world! Please comment and make suggestions to help flesh out the world we're creating. I've added some questions below each roll/result. Feel free to add your ideas in the Comments right below the post, or in G+ - whichever venue strikes your fancy.
- Question: Is the dwarf planet orbiting close to the sun or further out in the system? Where is it?
ATMOSPHERE: I made four 1d6-1d6 rolls to determine the type of atmosphere; each roll came up 0, which means a breathable atmosphere. The rules say to re-roll results for dwarf planets that come up with a breathable atmosphere as the result, but after four successive rolls we're sticking with this result.
- Question: Why and how does this dwarf planet have a breathable atmosphere?
MOONS AND RING SYSTEMS: Two rolls here; our dwarf planet has a faint ring system, and several moons.
- What are the moons like and what are they made of? Let's assume the moons are smaller than the dwarf planet (otherwise, it would be their moon...)
- What is the faint ring system made of? Is there anything special about it?
POPULATION: Our roll for population size is -3; that indicates a population in the 1,000s. This is consistent with "Larger outposts/research stations, Newly settled worlds (terraformers)."
- What is the purpose of the settlement?
- Who lives here?
OK! That's probably enough for today! Post any ideas you have and we'll see where this dwarf planet takes us.