Monday, March 25, 2013

Summon Mugwump?

Mugwump from David Cronenberg's movie "Naked Lunch"

Most sane people would not watch David Cronenberg's move adaptation of William S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch with their Mom, but what can I say? I have been a Burroughs fan for a long, long time. So sitting down and watching this movie with my Mom back in the '90s seemed like a natural thing to do. Imagine my surprise when we got to the Mugwump scenes and my Mom said:

"Don't ever bring a video here to watch again."

Lesson learned.

But we still need Mugwumps in this world, and what better way to bring them to your SF, science fantasy, and New Weird roleplaying table than with spells like Summon Mugwump from the brand new spell supplement, Space-Age Sorcery. The sourcebook has over 100 unique spells, as well as magic items and scenario seeds suitable for any 1st edition game that is ready to veer towards space opera, the Lovecraftian, and science fantasy influences. 

It is a collaboration between the space-mad creative geniuses behind Hereticwerks (Jim and Jody Garrison), Swords and Stitchery (Needles), and Porky's Expanse (Porky). 

You can download it from Hereticwerks over here.

Check it out. Just leave Mom out of it. 

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Now watching Naked Lunch with my mother is not something I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the story--I nearly spewed hot tea out my nose when I read this! Glad you liked Space-Age Sorcery. We also really appreciate the editorial advice you lent us--that was really helpful and much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Trey and Jim: I did a lot of stooopid things in my youth. Back in the day I also left out Jim Carroll's "Basketball Diaries" where my mom could pick it up and read it.

    Strangely enough although she saw the first The Smiths album many times, she never "read" the cover art the way she should have. I kept other records, like the Cruci**cks and B***hole Surfers albums well hidden from her gaze.

    In the Burroughs & Jim Carroll vein, it wasn't until many, many years later that I discovered Richard Bowes, whose superb "Minions of the Moon" is newer classic of junkie-horror. Recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jim: it was a pleasure to provide some editorial advise. I was inspired to jot down a bunch of new spell ideas during my read through!

    ReplyDelete