As you can see, in comparison with Earth, Kepler 22-B is the proverbial Vancian "Big Planet". Scientists in 2012 don't know the exact composition of the planet. The planet is 2.4 times the size of Earth, and it is within the habitable zone of its star. This means the planet is the right distance from its sun to have liquid water. The planet has a year of 289 days. Its star is slightly smaller than Sol. Specifically, its sun, Kepler 22 is an 11th magnitude G5 dwarf star in the Cygnus constellation.
The actual planet may have a very high gravity, especially if its composition is Earth-like. For the sake of the Kepler 22-B setting collaboration, I am assuming that Kepler 22-B has the following characteristics:
- A terrestrial planet
- About the same gravity as Earth
- Surface area significantly greater than Earth
- Less dense than Earth, and likely to have less metal in its core
- A great deal of liquid water on its surface
- A breathable atmosphere
- It is the most interesting planet in the system
Below you'll find my personal rendering of the system.
Kepler 22 in Diaspora
Kepler 22 System:
- Technology -4: Stone Age (With the exception of some ruins on Kepler 22-B )
- Environment +1: System with a garden world (Kepler 22-B)
- Resources 0: Sustainable (No trade, and very little outside settlement yet
- Many explorers here, but no top dog. Yet.
- A world dotted with ruins and anomalies
- Suitable for colonization if the native life doesn't kill you first