The shore party used the mapping torpedoes to triangulate radiation's source. It is located several kilometers out into the Bay. The radiation spike is coming from four cuboid objects on the ocean floor.
Each of the four structures is one cubic meter in size. Round megavacuoles circulate, fuse, and divide within each cube. Spectrographic analysis indicates that the objects are primarily silicate structures.
I thought I'd stat this artifact out using Starblazer Adventures, since it is WeirdTech.
Enigma Boxes - Ancient alien artifacts based on ubiquitous Forerunner technologies; used by many ancient spacefaring cultures and by a few highly advanced contemporary spacefaring cultures; common formats include: emitter buoys to warn of hazards to navigation or life; datatroves archiving massive amounts of alien data over millions of years; stasis boxes storing hazardous or valuable materials within secure vacuoles.
- Scale 1 (Tiny/Smaller than a human)
- Power/Skill Level: Fantastic +6 (Typically these devices have one primary skill, such as Store and Retrieve Data, or Warn Away Intruder)
- Alien Technology (Players will need the Engineering stunt Weird Science to attempt to understand or operate the device)
- AI Control OR Conscious
- Hair Trigger (emitter buoys and datatroves can self-destruct at discretion of controlling AI or machine consciousness)
- Biomimetic Forerunner machine
- It was here first
- Don't get to close, the radiation could cook you
- It is a warning, an archive, or a gift box - or maybe all three
- Too tempting to ignore