Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Bootleggers' Bible

The Nash Quad, the first all-wheel drive vehicle
This past weekend was JonCon '13 in the Twin Cities. I ran a FATE Accelerated Edition version of Kerberos Club there (more on that later this week), and I was also fortunate enough to play in +B Cook's FATE Core prohibition-era game inspired by the CrimeWorld supplement for FATE Core.

Bob's game, "The Bootleggers' Bible", has a terrific write-up over at Rachel Kronick's Blade & Crown Blog. Check it out!

The Bootleggers' Bible was a really great scenario - one which I found it particularly enjoyable because I am a big fan of Boardwalk Empire. It is nice seeing how versatile FATE Core is. This one felt very focused, immersive, and real-world to me, like the best of the Jazz Age Call of Cthulhu scenarios.

Hopefully these kind of examples put to rest the idea that all FATE Core games have to be gonzo genre mashups. That's of course fun, but it is not required for fun with FATE Core.

That being said, the ease with which the game handled the Jazz Age suggests that FATE Core would also work very well for more occult/supernaturally inspired settings with a bit of the pulp gonzo, like +trey causey's fine Weird Adventures setting which is also featured on his blog, From the Sorcerer's Skull. Yeah, I admit I'm itching to try that out.

2 comments:

  1. If you do give Weird Adventures a go, please blog on it. I'm always interested to here what people do with the setting.

    ReplyDelete