|The Time Machine (2002)|
The Maltruskian species has two morphogenetically distinct types. Its most common form is gracile and either non-hirsute, or lightly downed. It lives above ground, and is known for its pheremonal and empathic susceptibility to humans. The other Maltruskan sub-species is troglodytic, hirsute, and muscular. It lives a subterranean existence, and has a discernibly more appetitive and predatory nature, with aggressive psychic abilities which match these drives.
Many if not all troglodytic Maltruskans have developed an appetite for the flesh of other sentient beings, including but not limited to the gracile clade of their own species. They have an affinity for the more violent psychic powers, including telekinesis, machinic domination, and negative emotion projection.
Subterranean Maltruskans frequently make their home in ruins. They quickly puzzle out how to use ocular and other ancient superscience devices salvaged from those ruins, and many artifact hunters have a contact or two among their kind. Such contacts help the subterranean Maltruskans bargain to move from world-to-world in exchange for choice artifacts. This is frequently a dangerous bargain; many small free traders and scouts transporting the troglodytes have gone missing over the years.
A troglodytic community dwells among the labyrinthine structures below the Imperial Palace on Altair III. Other communities haunt the ruins of Maltruskan colonies, or lurk beneath inhabited cities on other races' worlds. They are considered an inimical species on most human settled worlds, and locals frequently take considerable pains to remove them.
Their underground warrens are dark and dangerous places. More than a few unruly children have been scared into good behavior by tales of these devils in the dark.
- High Concept: Alien Morlocks
- Trouble: A taste for intelligent meat
- Aspect: Drawn to ruins and abandoned places
- Aspect: The fear legends are made of
- Aspect: Dangerous minds
- Careful: +2
- Clever: +3
- Flashy: 0
- Forceful: +2
- Quick: +1
- Sneaky: +1
- Ancient Device: Spend 1 FP to have the use of an ancient device once per session.
- Machine Meld: Spend 1 FP to awaken and/or control a machine once per session.
- Psychic Projection: Because they have Dangerous Minds, take a +2 to project fear, hate, jealousy on someone nearby as a Sneaky action.
- Telekinesis: User takes +2 to their Forceful Approach to cause an object up to the size of a human head to fall, move, or fly of its own accord.