The picture of Neanderthals keeps evolving. No pun intended. A few years ago, the science shows said that Homo sapiens sapiens probably exterminated them, and had none of their genes. The case was made for conflict and little positive cooperation and interaction with Neanderthal people.
Today, that is not so much the claim - as will be especially clear to people who saw last week's episode of NOVA. All of us have a few of Neanderthal genes - they're often 2-3% of our genome. The Neanderthals had burial customs (and hence probably religion), and apparently wore decorative ornamentation. Neanderthals were also advanced tool users; their inventions included a kind of glue which helped affix spearheads to spear shafts. They cooked and ate vegetables. Maybe they even roleplayed.
Ice Age Human
Closest relative of modern humans
- High Concept: Cold climate survivor
- Trouble: High energy diet, please!
- Aspect: Close-in fighter
- Aspect: Advanced tool maker
- Aspect: Beginnings of art and religion
- Careful: +2
- Clever: +1
- Flashy: 0
- Forceful: +3
- Quick: +2
- Sneaky: +1
- Power Lifter: The average Neanderthal could bench press 300-500 lbs. Take a +2 bonus to any Forceful attempt to lift, move, or hurl something.