They're known as Dura-Lux, Ducks, and Halflinks (avoid this latter term as they consider it derogatory). Xenogeneticists say that this bipedal duck-like species was uplifted from egg-laying mammals, whose genome was further modified with DNA sequences from aquatic avians. Common folk on many worlds avoid this species like the plague. The Dura-Lux are considered vectors for deadly viruses, and agents and products of Chaos.
However, politicians and generals often welcome the Dura-Lux, especially in times of conflict. They are brave and determined soldiers, and make reliable mercenaries. Even better, an army of Dura-Lux doesn't move on its stomach. Their kind have the ability to feed on other-planar energies, allowing them to scout and skirmish with enemy forces considerably in advance supply lines. The Dura-Lux are also perfect for the defense of remote outposts, as their ability to feed on other-planar energies helps them withstand long sieges.
The most common forms of payment that Dura-Lux demand in exchange for their services are land and the right to nest and produce young in that territory. They prefer wet environments such as lands with meandering streams, lakes and ponds, and wetlands, where they can skim the waters and feed on small insects, amphibians, and fish.
With adequate training and preparation, Dura-Lux can use almost any available technology. They have an intuitive facility with devices like Eyes that are powered by other-planar energies. They take well to armor and bronze and iron age weapons. However, when left to their own devices, the Dura-Lux establish settlements that rely on lower level technologies such as those derived from wood, other fibers, and stone.
Avian Demi-monotreme (neutral)
- High Concept: Intelligent, bipedal ducks
- Trouble: Shunned as creatures of Chaos
- Aspect: Apt and loyal mercenaries
- Aspect: We'll work for land
- Aspect: Never go hungry
- Careful: +1
- Clever: +2
- Flashy: 0
- Forceful: +3
- Quick: +2
- Sneaky: +1
- An Extra Eye: Dura-Lux are often equipped with the devices of the Ancients, such as Eyes, which channel other-planar energy produce a reliable, specific effect on a person, place, or thing.
- Fast Swimmers: Because they are derived from an aquatic species, Dura-Lux take a +2 to their Quick Approach whenever they are in the water.
- Neverdrain: Because Dura-Lux are able to channel other-planar energies, energy weapons and the devices of the Ancients never become Drained of charges when in their use.
- Wet Ambush: Any time a Dura-Lux is in a wet/aquatic environment, they may take +2 to their Clever Approach to Create an Advantage against an approaching adversary.