Tuesday, May 6, 2014

9 Months, 9 Novels, 9+ Posts


We're starting a new project this May at FATE SF. We now have a copy of the two volume slipcased American Science Fiction: Nine Classic Novels of the 1950s, edited by Gary K. Wolfe. This Library of America edition is linked to a special website with guest commentaries by several luminaries of contemporary SF, focusing on the works in the series.

Our plan is to read one novel per month, proceeding in order through the two-volume set. We will write at least one blog post on each novel, finding something suitably Fatey to carry-on about with each book.

The project officially begins after the Second Foundation reading group this coming Sunday, which is focused on the work of feminist and Marxist SF author Eleanor Arnason. That's because I need to read some more of Eleanor's Big Mama Stories before this weekend's gathering.

The first of the Nine Novels (as I am tagging this series of posts) is The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth. I've been wanting to read this one for a long time, so I'm looking forward to starting the project!

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say I've only read two of those (More than Human, and The Stars My Destination). I really ought to pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art they used for this project is wonderful - especially if you like the covers that were "old" when we were still kids. :)

      Delete