|The Drowned Drumlin of Clew Bay|
The planar steeds known as Dromedaries are shaggy, drumlin-sized mountains of flesh capable of shifting individuals or entire groups from one sphere to another. Dromedaries have a very thick integument that is typically 8-10' in depth. Beneath this capsule swims the gelatinous core of an enormous hyperganglion. Although blind, the Dromedary's hyperganglion gives it a highly complex psychic sensory system and allows the creature to perceive simultaneously the local environments in multiple contiguous planes.
Dromedaries are particularly drawn to interdimensional Tidal Pools. They remain there indefinitely, unless threatened in some way or given reason to move on to better pastures. When they find a place that is particularly interdimensionally rich, they begin Keening psychically. Shamans, sorcerers, telepaths, and other psychically-attuned individuals will be drawn toward a Dromedary's location due to its mesmerizing Keening. The Keening effect has been posited as a reason why many religious epiphanies happen on mountains, hillocks, and drumlins.
Someone wishing to visit another plane may bargain with a Dromedary for transport. Such creatures want for little, craving only information and experiences. Attractive bargains often commit the traveler to bringing novel creatures, objects, or persons into contact with the Dromedary.
They are ideal planar steeds for trade missions, as an entire caravan or the contents of several great storehouses can be transported on these great hills of flesh. Dromedaries are also useful for the movement of armies or the relocation of entire communities, because hundreds or even thousands of persons can be plane-shifted on the backs of these enormous creatures.
Dromedaries may be summoned if one knows psychic sutras which imitate the psychic impressions created by Keening. Although the majority of summoning is done with the intent of calling a Dromedary as a planar steed, some desperate and/or selfish communities summon the creatures for a very different purpose: to kill them by the bite, consuming their meat over a long winter. If the intended Dromedary victim is within Keening range of another of its kind, such summonings often spell disaster for a selfish community.
Enormous Planar Steed (neutral)
- High Concept: Shaggy mountain that moves between the planes
- Trouble: Mountains cannot dodge
- Aspect: Blind but psychically aware
- Aspect: Their Keening can inspire madness or illumination
- Aspect: If you want to attach it you'd better bring a BIG weapon
- Careful: +2
- Clever: +2
- Flashy: +1
- Forceful: +3
- Quick: 0
- Sneaky: +1
- The Keening - Dromedaries take a +2 to their Flashy Approach to Create an Advantage using their powerful mesmeric psychic Keening. The numerical result of this Flashy role determines how may zones into this plane (and any adjacent planes) its Keening extends.
- Plane Shift - Once per session, a Dromedary may shift itself (and anyone on it) into an adjacent plane.
- Sidestep Crush - Mountains are dangerous when they move. Once per session, a Dromedary may plane shift one zone, making Forceful crushing Attacks against whatever is in that zone.
See the Very Large Monster rules at Evil Hat.